Girsby and Over Dinsdale Village Hall
Girsby, Darlington, DL2 1PL
On 20th July 1969 Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin became the first humans to land on the surface of the Moon marking perhaps mankind's greatest achievement thus far and sparking the hopes, dreams and imagination of an entire planet! We aim to re-create the awe and excitement of this momentous event whilst also inspiring the next generation of astronauts at this small, intimate but action packed event at a lovely village hall location just outside of Darlington!
- indoor planetarium screenings of "CAPCOM GO! The Apollo Story"
- experience a rocket launch or Moon landing in virtual reality
- family friendly astronomy talks, presentations, arts & crafts
- re-live the Saturn V launch and Neil Armstrong's first step with original footage from 1969!
- introduction to telescopes and telescope clinic (bring your own scope if you have one!)
- observe the Moon, Saturn and Jupiter through large telescopes with expert astronomers
- view our closest star the Sun using special solar telescopes
- see bright passes of the International Space Station
- hold a piece of the Moon!
- build your own Saturn V rocket and launch it in the rocket competition (Sunday only)
Weekend camping tickets
Overnight camping on the Friday and Saturday night is optional and available to those with weekend camping tickets only. Each weekend camping ticket includes attendance to the whole festival (Friday, Saturday and Sunday) for 2 adults and up to 3 children (5 to 16 years old, under 5's free), a vehicle pass and a pitch to accommodate 1 large tent or 2 small tents or an awning. Weekend campers can arrive from 16:00pm on the Friday afternoon and will be asked to leave the site by 16:00pm on the Sunday afternoon.
Main day tickets
It is also possible to attend the Festival on the main day only (Saturday) with the venue opening from 9:30am. Tickets can be booked in advance or purchased on the door... There will be a refreshments stall offering teas, coffees, cold drinks and ice lollies. Come along and bring a picnic or stay for the afternoon and come back for the evening!
If you have any questions please contact us via email or message us via our Facebook page.
We look forward to seeing you at what will be a memorable and very enjoyable weekend!
Please note that this event has already taken place on 19/07/2019
Bookings are closed for this event.
The below chart shows if and when the skies will be at their darkest during this event. Moonlight is shown in light yellow and the Sun's twilight in light blue. Midnight on the date shown is shown as a white line with sunset to the left and sunrise the next morning to the right. A black background with stars shows the best times for stargazing.