Girsby, Darlington, DL2 1PL
Join the team from Go Stargazing for this family friendly weekend festival celebrating the 50th anniversary of the first Apollo Moon landing...
On 20th July 1969 Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin became the first humans to land on the surface of the Moon marking perhaps mankind's greatest achievement thus far and sparking the hopes, dreams and imagination of an entire planet! We aim to do something similar by inspiring a group of young astronomers and wannabe astronauts at this small, intimate event at a lovely village hall location just outside of Darlington!
- indoor planetarium screenings of "CAPCOM GO! The Apollo Story"
- virtual reality rocket launch experience
- family friendly astronomy talks, presentations, arts & crafts
- re-live Neil Armstrong's first step with original footage from 1969!
- introduction to telescopes and telescope clinic (bring your own scope if you have one!)
- stargazing and see the Moon, Saturn and Jupiter through large telescopes
- view the Sun using special solar telescopes
- observe bright passes of the International Space Station
- make and launch your own rocket in the bottle rocket competition (prizes to be won!)
Overnight camping on the Friday and Saturday night is available in a field adjacent to the venue and a perfect place to wait for the skies to darken and the stargazing to happen!
Space is limited at the venue and therefore the number of tickets available is limited to the number of camping pitches we can accommodate. Each ticket purchased allows for up to two adults and up to three children (under 16 years old) to attend the event. Camping tickets include 1 car parking space and enough room for either 1 large tent or 2 small tents. Camper van tickets include space for 1 camper van but no outside space (sorry no awnings etc). We are only able to accommodate one vehicle per ticket, no exceptions, there's nowhere to park nearby!
You are welcome to arrive from 16:00 on the Friday afternoon and will be asked to vacate the site by 16:00 on Sunday afternoon at the latest so to enable us to tidy up! The venue has toilets and a basic kitchen however there are no electrical hook-ups in the camping field, no chemical toilet disposal facilities nor are there any showers. You'll therefore need to bring your own food and refreshments and any BBQ's must be raised off the floor.
If you have any questions please contact us via email or message us via our Facebook page.
We look forward to seeing you at what will be a memorable and very enjoyable weekend!
- Event includes an astronomy related presentation or talk.
- Event will involve stargazing and observing the skies through telescopes weather permitting
- Event includes observing the Sun through special solar telescopes
- Event is an Astronomy Festival normally with trade stalls and presentations spread across a couple of days.
This event is being organised by Go Stargazing who should be contacted if you have any queries.
Please indicate your ticket requirements below. Upon booking you will receive an email confirmation message -- we will contact you again a week before the festival with full details including directions and a timetable of activities.